Monday, November 30, 2009

A Very Sheridan Christmas




Anyone who knows me can tell you what my favorite time of the year is. What time is that, you say? Christmas time, of course! I love everything about Christmas. I love decorating. I love getting presents. I love giving presents. I love how everyone generally seems to be happier around this time of the year. Not only that, but my entire family's (including my fiancee's) birthdays all happen around Christmas, so there is more to celebrate than just Christmas.

I'm a bit of an agnostic, so my feelings about all of the Jesus imagery is a bit iffy, but I find everything else about Christmas so enjoyable that I quickly get past the religiousness of it all.

This brings me to my point. Recently, I've been told and have noticed that all of my creative writings involve extreme amounts of violence and while still having some humorous bits, generally retains quite a bit of darkness. By darkness, I mean the darkness that every person has within them and if and when that darkness manifests itself.

So I thought about, and since I am in such a good Christmassy mood that I've decided to write a screenplay that is somewhat about Christmas and takes place during the holiday season.

The story itself will be about a young man that comes back from college to find that everything in his life has changed and his various efforts to spread Christmas cheer among his fellow men. Of course, I am a big fan of the idea of Santa Claus so I may just have to insert the big man into my story somehow.

In regards to Santa, I've always wondered how people in movies about Santa (like The Santa Clause with Tim Allen and ELF with Will Ferrell) don't realize that Santa exists in that world. Wouldn't they notice random presents that they can't explain having not actually BOUGHT them laying under their tree? Of course, I know most Christmas movies don't really follow any certain kind of logic and weren't not to question them, but I would like to create an explanation for why parents don't realize that some of the presents under the tree are from Santa himself.

Even though I have a lot of work to do during these last 3 weeks of school, I plan on starting this screenplay as soon as possible. Stay tuned for further updates. And for your entertainment, here is a zombie Santa Claus:


No comments:

Post a Comment