Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Frustration


The above picture says it all.  Several of my fellow TCOM graduate students and I received emails telling us that we can't attend any Digital Corp classes next semester because they are meant for undergrad students and they get first dibs.

This is especially frustrating because I intended on taking 3 of these classes next semester and count them as one of my 670 credits.  Not only that, but I could also use the help in learning several software programs that I am either rusty in, or have no experience in at all.

I wasn't aware that the Digital Corps classes were meant for undergraduates.  I understand the assumption that undergrad students might need them more than a lot of graduate students because of their youth and inexperience, but shouldn't we also assume that a good majority of grad students are in need of them as well?

At least half - maybe even more - of the TCOM grad students come from different backgrounds that didn't necessarily require them to have any knowledge of what the Digital Corps classes offer.  Off the top of my head I could name at least 5 different undergraduate degrees that 5 different students possess: Journalism, Mass Communications, Journalism, Design and Math.

I believe that the Digital Corps should expand their class schedule per semester and allot graduate students the opportunity to attend their classes.  I need a lot of these classes, and I know a lot of my fellow grad students that need them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment