Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mulling Over the Final Creative Project

Although I am enjoying all of my classes so far this semester, I cannot help but think about and get excited about my final creative project which I will start next year.  I am so glad that there is a choice to do a thesis or a creative project.  While I have done several papers in the past with theses, I must admit that it is one of my weakest areas.  I am just not all that interested in or very good at developing a thesis. 

While my prose definitely needs work (which is evident by the 180 page novel I have sitting on my computer's hard drive collecting metaphorical dust), I believe the ability to develop and tell a good and sometimes intricate story is one of my strengths.  For my creative project, I will be shooting and acting in a mockumentary about a divorced, middle-aged vampire hunter with a goofy New York-like accent, a beer gut, a comb over, and a penchant for foul language and crude jokes.

This idea has been rolling around in my head for almost ten years now, and I have written several screenplays about this character, Wally Swayzek.  He is also the subject of the book I am currently writing.  Now, my ultimate goal is to someday make a fairly big budgeted film about Wally, but right now that is obviously not feasible.  So instead I am taking the low budget, mockumentary approach and placing my character with a small film crew which will film and only sometimes interact with him as he goes through his daily activities and culminating in a vampire hunt that doesn't exactly go to plan.

Even though this project is a long way's away, I have already begun to plan some things out, including a script (I hope to have the first draft done by Christmas '09).  For the film, I will be purchasing my own camera to film in my home town of Orland Park, Illinois.  I have already started to save up for the film's expenses, and I am also willing to use my credit card to finance the film as well.  

Well, I think that is enough about my creative project for now, but count on reading several more updates about the pre-pre-pre-production of this film in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment